Re: Lots of my PDFs online

On Wed, Nov 17th, 2010 at 4:02 AM, GSP1954@aol.com wrote:

> Due to the valiant efforts of Robert T most of my papers are available as
> PDFs at www.gspauldino.com in the CV section. We'll get the rest of the
> suckers up there in fairly short order.
>
> And to imagine, once upon a time people actually sent one another things
> called post cards requesting reprints, and we sent hard copies in reply when
> we sometimes got around to it. A primitive era indeed.

Back in the early 90s I used to exchange photocopied papers with people all
over the world
(Australian journals could be hard to get in other countries back then - some
probably still are). I
quite looked forward to receiving parcels in the mail from 'exotic'
destinations, with a sense of
expectation that lasted for days (sometimes weeks), and the additional reward
of interesting
stamps and hand-addressed envelopes that came from an actual person (who no
doubt waited in
anticipation for my parcel to arrive to them).

Waiting a few seconds for a PDF to download is certainly convenient, but just
isn't quite as
satisfying. At least in the days of dial-up you got to wait a few minutes, with
a minor celebration if
the download completed successfully. :-)

Dann Pigdon