RE: Tyrannosaurus tail torque

Thanks for for the replies.

  I'm not a physicist, but I'm a little skeptical of the T.
rex's-head-a-splode-if-it-fell argument, because the head would probably be the
last thing to hit the ground if a tyrannosaur took a tumble while running. I
think flesh and bone is a little stronger than what some think, and
outstretched arms are not the only way to prevent injury while falling.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxvNAszj5bE

 A T. rex's torso was filled with air sacks and wrapped in muscle and tendons,
so I would not be surpised if such a creature could survive a nasty belly flop.
I'm also pretty sure I saw multiple broken and healed ribs on Sue when I was in
Chicago, but of course those injuries could have been caused by something else.

 I have to wonder how *any* giant theropod would be able to last very long if a
belly flop was fatal. I'm guessing being knocked over while fighting with prey
or during intraspecific combat would be far more likely and injurious than a
trip and fall while running. In other words, even if a T. rex didn't run, it
would still, by necessity, be living a lifestyle that ran the risk of frequent
nasty falls since that lifestyle involved ripping chunks of meat off of
elephant sized animals.

Is there anyone out their willing to make something like a giant ballistic gel
T.rex torso and drop it off the back of a truck while going 30 mph? =)