RE: Tyrannosaurus tail torque

There will be more on this subject in the primary literature in not too
long, but it might be salutary to [at least] read these two papers and
consider their relationship to the paper being discussed, which did not
consider them. Both discussed tail shape/caudofemoral mass and their
implications for locomotion, turning etc. That's all I'll say about it here.

Allen, V., Paxton, H., Hutchinson, J.R. 2009. Variation in center of mass
estimates for extant sauropsids, and its importance for reconstructing
inertial properties of extinct archosaurs. Anatomical Record 292:1442-1461.

Hutchinson, J.R., Ng-Thow-Hing, V., Anderson, F.C. 2007. A 3D interactive
method for estimating body segmental parameters in animals: application to
the turning and running performance of Tyrannosaurus rex. Journal of
Theoretical Biology 246:660-680.

Dr. John R. Hutchinson
Reader in Evolutionary Biomechanics
Structure & Motion Laboratory