Re: Tyrannosaurus tail torque (also thinking about adaptations in juveniles vs. imagos)

2010/11/19 Jonas Weselake-George <ee555@ncf.ca>:

> (... ambush and bring down moose with a single bite).

Never heard or read of that, but supporting the sense of the
assertion, African wild dogs seem to kill rather fast, and it is my
understanding also dholes do. Perhaps in relation to hypercarnivorism
a greater degree of sociability than in wolves?

> On another note:
> The picture is also incomplete if we don't think about juvenile and
> sub-adult tyrannosaurids. In any ecosystem the young would be
> considerably more than three-quarters of the population and may have
> filled a completely separate niche. The changes are great enough that
> it might even be appropriate to refer to the adults as the "imagos" of
> the species (especially given the short life expectancy upon reaching
> maturity).

Good point. The younger specimens may have less theorethical problems.
For the adult to survive until reaching reach the maximal size
observed, it may be studied how common it is for self-sustainment the
simple robbing from smaller juveniles among gregarious diapsids as
Komodo dragons or crocodiles. Perhaps if they actively followed
youngsters...

> However, this may be deceptive - as speed in sub-adults may be a
> compensatory adaptation for having a high centre of gravity - itself
> an adaptation to endurance.

Both things may not overlap in cases? Canids and many ratites are
faster than most non-cursorial animals (like us) and also present
great stamina.

Cheers,
Augusto Haro