Re: Tyrannosaurus Tail Torque

2010/11/20 Sim Koning <simkoning@msn.com>:

>  That may be the case with wolves, but African wild dogs are able to very
> rapidly kill large animals via disembowelment. Sadly ignorance of this fact
> lead many to demonize these animals, when in reality, they are able to kill
> their prey faster than many other predators (such as lions). They also have a
> very high success rate in their hunts, with about 80% ending in a kill.

Whatever the velocity a predatory animal takes in killing its prey,
they should not be demonized, less so destroyed because of the human
impression that they are cruel.
I do not know how much it takes for an animal to be killed by
evisceration, because there are cases of humans more or less
disemboweled in knife fights to which guts have to be relocated within
the body cavity before stitching them (and they are thus saved from
death, and are not instantaneously killed), and this also applies to
some dogs used to hunt boar (which can be badly wounded by the tusks).
However, I suppose that, contrary to the case of the wild dogs, the
other cases of disembowelment I refferred to may not be total (I mean,
not all the guts out of the abdominal cavity), so perhaps will dog
prey may be killed way faster (via massive blood loss) than in the
other cases mentioned.