Re: G forces, Car Crashes and T. rex

On Mon, Nov 22nd, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Sim Koning <simkoning@msn.com> wrote:

>    I've been doing what I can to read up on G forces, the effect they have on
> the human body and
> how that might relate to giant theropods and other dinosaurs. From what I
> remember of Farlow's
> calculation's, a T. rex's torso dropped in a deadfall would impact at about 6
> Gs, while the
> (765lb?) head would impact at about 14 Gs. The calculations for G forces
> during a fall while
> moving 20 metres per second were 9 Gs for the body and 16 for the head.

This would seem to assume a straight fall onto the chest. If a tyrannosaur
slipped while moving
quickly, it may have had enough time to tip itself one way or the other and
slide along on its side.
This would avoid undue forces on the front of the chest, prevent a potentially
jaw-busting impact,
and a sliding stop would also help to gradually dissipate the momentum (unlike
a Dirty Harry
style 'sudden impact').

Such an 'inglourious' stop might cause the occasional 'basterd' rib though
(which I believe aren't
that uncommon in tyrannosaur skeletons).

Dann Pigdon