Re: Tyrannosaurus Tail Torque‏

Augusto Haro wrote-

>There are, however, cases of toads partially eaten by otters (withhindlimbs
>almost entirely eaten by otters) and they survive even pastthe interest >of
>the otter. How do they do with the arteries?

That's a toad. In animals with high pressure circulatory systems, something
like a ruptured brachial or femoral artery can kill in minutes or less
depending on the artery and how and where it is damaged. (at least in the case
of humans). That's why it's so stupid in movies when someone gets shot or
stabbed through the shoulder, and is left in just a bit of pain, "it's only a
flesh wound! I've had worse!". Video games in which you can kill with a gun
shot or sword cut to the leg and/or arm are actually more accurate. That's also
why when you shoot someone, you shoot to kill and for no other reason; there is
no way to safely "disable" someone with a bullet.

-----

Regarding Komodo dragon's and their bite. Watch the video and you'll notice
that the dear's leg is *rotting* due to a bite. They walk up to ungulates and
bite them on the leg, they get an infection and then they track them down and
eat them while they are still alive. There are plenty of other videos showing
them biting animals on the leg for the same reason. These animals eat rotten
*putrid* meat on the shoreline... you WOULD NOT want to get bit by one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfTgkJHpdsM

--------

Also, more on topic. Do you guys think it's possible that giant theropods could
have had an elastic strain energy storage tendon/s in their lower legs (like
macropods) that may have given them more "free" energy while running? I was
just reading about how such a system remains efficient even when weight is
increased. I also suspect that the caudofemoralis was very elastic and may have
stored energy as the tail "wagged" side to side. What do you guys think?

Sim