RE: Tyrannosaurus Tail Torque‏

   Thanks for finding me the full version. It took me forever just to find that
crappy sped up clip. The gazelle/dear at 7:44 is the same animal and it's
limping complete with infected leg as it gets up and runs off. You can see the
same swollen, putrid looking black spot on its leg in frame 7:50. I think a
false trichotomy is being set up around these lizards. Do some varanids have
have what look like venom glands yes, do wild dragons have enough bacteria in
their mouths to kill (slowly) yes, can they kill simply by biting their prey to
death yup. Why is it that one method is being focused on to the exclusion of
the others? There is no reason why all three can not be used in a situational
manner. Not saying you are doing this, just something I noticed while reading
about them on the web. Also I think the way I worded my last post gave the
wrong impression: I wasn't trying to suggest that these lizards are like cobras
and vipers. The videos I've seen show them walking up to !
much larger animals and almost casually biting their lower legs. What I have
noticed is that they will continue to attack an animal (large or not) for as
long as they can. Obviously something the size of a bull or some other large
ungulate is going to get away most of the time, but the wound seems to (like in
the video) get badly infected. This is something that can happen with *any*
bite wound in the wild, so I think too much is made of it. However, I do think
dragon victims are probably far more likely to get a severe infection or blood
poisoning when compared to the victims of other predators due the 57 or so
strains of virulent bacteria in their mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDWSmQsvRSE

Oprah narrates this...where is David Attenborough when you need him?

> Muscles can store strain energy, though it is often small compared to the
> storage capacity of tendons (Alexander & Clark 1977). I don't know if any
> >elastic storage tests have been performed on the caudofemoralis, though it
> would appear to be plenty powerful enough to handle long walks, or bursts >of
> acceleration all on its own.

  That's interesting, I didn't know that. What about the shanks? The ankle
seems to have been the "weakest link" in their legs, so Is it possible that as
theropods grew larger certain muscle systems shifted towards a more "spring"
like system to store energy and compensate for their weight? If so, would there
be any evidence of it on the bone? I guess you would have to look at the
scarring on macropod (kangaroo) limbs and compare them to other animals, but
even then... The reason I find this so interesting is because such a system
seems to remain efficient as weight and/or speed increases.

Simeon Koning