Re: Tyrannosaurus Tail Torqueâ

2010/11/22 Sim Koning <simkoning@msn.com>:

>   Do some varanids have have what look like venom glands yes, do wild dragons
> have enough bacteria in their mouths to kill (slowly) yes, can they kill
> simply by biting their prey to death yup. Why is it that one method is being
> focused on to the exclusion of the others? There is no reason why all three
> can not be used in a situational manner. Not saying you are doing this, just
> something I noticed while reading about them on the web.

I have read somewhere, most likely apocryphally, that Komodo dragons
do not have more putrid bites than lions, for example, with even a
greater set of bacteriae in the latter. However, bacterial bites may
conceivably help more in the case of the dragon than in the case of
the lions, which kills way faster by mechanical means than allowed to
its bacterian flora. Perhaps some canids and other predators like
lampreys which take long lapses of time to kill some large prey may
also found benefit from infection, assuming their bites to be as rich
in bacterial flora as those in cats and varanids. Anyway, whether the
venom or the infection plays the greater role may be tested, in
principle, by injecting prey with either the lizard's venom or its
bacterial fauna, and then observing which is the component of the
inoculation which produces symptoms more similar to those observed
during predation. This investigation, however, seems to be rather
cruel for some knowledge which is apparently of not great importance
(it may be important, however, for example, if we are interested in
which way we should deal with a person bitten by a Komodo dragon).