RE: New iguanodonts in PLoS ONE

On Wed, Nov 24th, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Mickey Mortimer <mickey_mortimer111@msn.com>
wrote:

> But seriously, I have to ask if there is any good reason for caring about
> using proper Latin or
> Greek in scientific names.  We're not actually speaking the language, just
> making labels for
> taxa.  Surely it doesn't matter how we make the label as long as we can
> communicate it.  Maybe
> it's a generational thing, but being picky over the formation of names
> strikes me as something
> only someone who uses aescs and cares where their salad fork goes would be
> concerned with.

You may jest now, but one day your life may very well depend on that salad fork
- and you may
not be able to afford the few extra seconds it takes to hunt it down.

Letting grammar rules slide is but the thin edge of the wedge. It will be a
dark day indeed when the
first 'LOL' appears in a peer-reviewed article. I'll be, like, OMFG...

Dann Pigdon