RE: Ther[i]zinosaurs - beaked or padded?

David,

  I'm not sure what you mean by "in principle." In this case, a "pad"
(presumably a cornified pad) versus a keratinous rhamphotheca have
differentiable osteological/histological/superficial correlates in various
mammalian, avian, and crocodilian taxa, and are contiguous across most of these
taxa. This allows us to extrapolate data on how to determine the nature, form,
and extent of any tissue covering for the snouts of therizinosauroids,
ornithomimosaurs or (my faves, of course) oviraptorosaurs. But the point here
is that in principle, the suggestion would require a detailed analysis to
answer, and so simply saying "yes" would be enormously gun-jumping.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/