Re: New iguanodonts in PLoS ONE

Dan Chure <danchure@easilink.com> wrote:

> I don't think this is a generational issue.   There are several generations
> of paleontologists in SVP and there are members of each generation to which
> this does matter.  I see this as reflecting some degree of professionalism
> and care for detail.  I don't see it as trivial.

Agreed, 100%.  Underscore 'professionalism' and 'attention to detail'.

As David's comment makes clear, peer review offers an avenue to
correct these details in the manuscript.  Otherwise, the incorrect
spellings are set in stone once the paper appears in journal form.
Whether it's _Futalognkosaurus_ with the g and n transposed; or
_millenii_ with only one n; or _Gigantspinosaurus_ with gigas and
spinos incorrectly linked - we're stuck with these misspellings for
posterity.  The reviewers don't need to be language experts
themselves, just insist that the authors have done their homework and
checked their name for spelling or grammatical errors.  If in doubt,
drop Ben Creisler a line.

Cheers

Tim