Re: New iguanodonts in PLoS ONE

Mickey Mortimer <mickey_mortimer111@msn.com> wrote:

> I never said we should treat Latin and Greek differently from Chinese,
> Mongolian, or any other language.  "Respect" for something abstract like
>  a language or a dead culture falls squarely into the category of
> something we don't need to be concerned with.

Why not?

I don't need to say 'please' or 'thank you'.  But it's something I do anyway.

I would say that if you have no inclination to use Latin or Greek
properly when naming new taxa, then avoid Latin or Greek words
altogether.

BTW, although Latin is dead as a conversational language, use of Latin
is still alive and well.  As just one example, look at what's written
on every American coin.

Cheers

Tim