Re: Lack of Running Giant Theropod Tracks

Ok first off I can not seem to find a track map of the Glen Rose
tracks that you are talking about on the Internet I know I have it in
a book which happens to be at home and not where I am. All I am
finding is oblique angle photos of the site which makes it really hard
to re-familiarize myself with it (ie take what I say with a grain of
salt). Now personally I do not believe that the allosaurid trackway
(ichnogen. Irenesauripus if I remember correctly) is doing anything
"weird" I suspect that the missing print is just missing; it happens,
its annoying but it happens. As I said I can not find a track map but
the toes in the photos I can find look to be unchanged. If the animal
hopped in order to keep pace we would expect a change in the
divarication of digits in order for it to keep balance (and if you do
not believe me we have a trackway in Canada that shows "weird"
unbalancing behaviour that demonstrates this). You can even experiment
at home; take off your shoes, get up, walk on the balls of your feet
(pretend you are digitigrade) and hop. I suspect that your grate
changed (either coming down on your whole foot or your stride length
changed) and you are relatively tiny compared to something like
Acrocanthosaurus.

There is a trackway in Oxfordshire England (several references) that
might be a transition from a walk to a "run" of something like
Megalosaurus, though I seem to remember hearing that there was some
evidence it could just be a walking trackway with missing prints.

Then again I'm working on the ichnogen. Tetrapodosaurus so what do I
know for theropods.
  -Tyler Shaw