RE: Lack of Running Giant Theropod Tracks

    To more or less get to the point, I remember watching 'Dinosaur Attack!' on
the Discovery channel (back in 99 I think) in which Jim Farlow formed a
hypothesis that the Paluxy trackway preserved a giant theropod attack. Part of
the show revolved around the fact that one of the footprints is missing and
that some (such as Bird) had speculated that it was because the Acro/allosaur
latched onto the side of its victim. Farlow said that if that were the case
there should be some extremely distorted footprints (I also think there would
be some massive tail drag marks, especially considering the tail length of an
allosaurid). Jim and his colleagues then went on to posit that it was likely a
sort of skip or hop made in an attempt to keep pace or break into a run. If
that were the case, it would mean both of the allosaurid's feet were off the
ground at one point and that by extension would be strong evidence that giant
theropods could achieve a fully arial phase in their stride (running). So even
though we may not have trackway evidence of giant theropods actually in the act
of running (for whatever reason) we *do* have possible evidence of a giant
carnosaur skipping or hopping off of one leg. However, there is the possibility
that the track is just simply missing as was already pointed out, but then I'm
left wondering why it's simply missing; I'm guilty of begging the question if
that is a likely explanation.

  What I've been trying to find is a bird's eye view of the trackway so I can
see how far the supposed skip/hop was. I'm thinking that if this animal could
hop nearly an entire stride length on one leg it should have also been able to
double or tripping its stride while running, which would put it somewhere
between 20 and 30 mph (unless my math is way off).

>>"do we have fossilized
>> tracks that show ANY animal running, or breaking into a
>> run?"

I was under the impression that there is at least one case at Glen Rose, and
another example that may be a "dino stampede"

Sim Koning