RE: Lack of Running Giant Theropod Tracks

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Martin Baeker
>
> BTW, the leg proportions of ornithopods seem to be less
> well-adapted to fast running than those of T rex, so even if
> T rex was not a super-sprinter, it may still have been fast
> enough.

Indeed!! Every challenge that has been proposed to T. rex being a runner is
even more challenging to big ornithopods (much less
ceratopsians). But try telling reporters that... (Okay, I *DO* tell reporters
that, but they typically leave that part out...)

> (And of course there are scenarios where the
> juveniles do the running, and at 2 tons of mass the pciture
> changes quite a bit.) If anybody has reasonable measurements
> and estimates for muscles in ornithopod legs, we could easily
> run them through our software...

Cue the Open Dinosaur Project folks: http://opendino.wordpress.com/

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084