Re: Lack of Running Giant Theropod Tracks

On 11/28/2010 10:46 PM, Sim Koning wrote:
As Habib has pointed out, most predators do not make a habit of attacking
animals that are several times larger than themselves...unless they are in
packs.

Nearest living relatives of the giant bipeds -- golden eagle, harpy, ... do I need go on? There are more...

The idea that we can divine the behavior of theropods by averaging the behavior of living predators, none of which are morphologically analogous beyond the fact they have teeth, is weak.

Trying to use it to form a null hypothesis that "falsifies" the various capabilities and vulnerabilities that the morphological evidence points to, or suppresses discussion of the lifestyle and habitat implications, is ridiculous.

The argument boils down to "But, gosh, they were so big..."

Anyway, as to risk avoidance -- trailing a giant edible item at a leisurely walk for days or even weeks waiting for a weak moment is one heck of a lot safer than running 25mph w/ a rodeo-like takedown and fight at the end of the chase.

I am making a case based on the respective morphologies that outlines the tactical situation in play when giant sauropod met giant theropod. To do this in logical fashion, you have to start w/ a one on one scenario.

Those who can clear their minds, however briefly, of the Freudian implications will realize -- on good footing, the theropods had an overwhelming tactical advantage. Perhaps they were not smart enough or bold enough to exploit it effectively, but it was there. On bad footing, the situation was reversed.

As to packs -- why not? There was plenty of meat to go around.