Re: Lack of Running Giant Theropod Tracks

On 11/29/2010 9:43 AM, Heinrich Mallison wrote:
Hm, can you stop shifting goalposts?

I have shifted nothing. My thesis on this has been unchanged and unrebutted for literally decades now.V

On the one hand, you want conditions where the theropods can't follow.
Deep water. And tipping over.

It doesn't take deep water to stop a biped.

You are a biped. Go out in a swamp. When you cannot proceed any further, start using your hands. See how much further you go.

Then, you want shallow water - but please, not with a soggy bottom.

I like soggy bottom water under my sauropods. You have mistaken something.

know what happened to sauropods in such conditions: they got stuck and
eaten. E.g., the Tendaguru sauropods.

So one sauropod gets mired in a swamp that is drying up, and gets scavenged. So what? You spend time in swamp, you might die there. What else would you expect?

But in shallow water, why should the theropods not follow?

My thesis is that mega-theropods would not care to tackle a sauropod any place they might be unable to dodge, or would be likely to fall when changing direction suddenly. I have not attempted to quantify, or stated exactly how deep the water would have to be to inhibit mobility in a mega-theropod. I assume shallower than it would take to inhibit the sauropods. I also assume that mud or even very rough or vegetation-clogged ground might work strongly in the sauropods favor.

Also, how is "letting air out" supposed to work? it doesn't much shift
the center of mass, because of the simple fact that the majority of
air sacs is located dorsally. And what replaces the air? Will the skin
cave in, into the very bones?

It changes the center of buoyancy, at the least. In humans it changes buoyancy from positive to negative, and you sink. Try it in a swimming pool, but be careful.

Anyhow, last post for at least a day. Sorry about the high number...