Re: Brain size in fossil/extant mammals linked to sociality

On Mon, Nov 29th, 2010 at 4:36 PM, "Richard W. Travsky" <rtravsky@uwyo.edu>
wrote:

> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101127105348.htm
>
> Dogs Have Bigger Brains Than Cats Because They Are More Sociable, Research
> Finds
> They find that there is wide variation in patterns of brain growth across
> different groups of mammals and they have discovered that not all mammal
> groups have larger brains, suggesting that social animals needed to think
> more.

It's a pity that the first 'related story' on that page is about tigers having
larger relative brain sizes
than lions. I suppose every rule has its exceptions. :-)

Dann Pigdon