Re: Lack of Running Giant Theropod Tracks

I remember some report 35 years ago that the Chicago Bears, as part of a training camp, were assigned to keep up with preschoolers for a Saturday morning. They couldn't do it.
Scott Perry
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dann Pigdon" <dannj@alphalink.com.au>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 5:32 PM
Subject: Re: Lack of Running Giant Theropod Tracks

On Tue, Nov 30th, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com> wrote:

On 29 November 2010 21:55, Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:
>> Do we know of any extant animals in which the juveniles can run faster
>> than the adults? While no doubt there must be a way exceptions (sea
>> squirts? :-)), I think they ARE exceptions. I'm not convinced by the
>> widespread a priori assumption that adult ceratopsians and
>> tyrannosaurs were slower than the juveniles.
>
> I don't know about 'faster', but baby rhinos certainly run 'more often' > than their parents.

That is also true of humans; but adults can run faster than children
when they try.  I think that's the case with the great majority of
animals.

Sure - but have you ever tried to keep up with a toddler all day? Chances are the adult will tire long before the toddler does. And whereas the adult might need eight hours of sleep to recharge, the toddler can usually turn the dial up to eleven again after just a brief nap.

Speed over the short-term is one thing, but overall endurance can still win the day (the
old 'tortoise and hare' scenario, if I'm not mistaken).

Dann Pigdon