Re: Fwd: juveniles faster than adults.

I fail to see why a sprawling gait should invalidate komodo monitors, or any
other lizards from a question about the speed of juveniles vs adults in the
tetrapod world.

We just had an example of this occurrence in wolves, which are quadrupedal
mammals that get most of their hind limb thrust from the pulley-like gluteal
muscles (esp gluteus medius). This is very very different from how theropods
(or any dinosaur) moved.

We should not be so quick to dismiss comparing dinosaurs to other reptiles,
especially when the alternative is to compare them to a group of animals they
haven't shared a common ancestor with in over 235 million years.

And since we are on the subject I would also like to submit gharials to the
list of animals with faster young. Not only are juveniles faster (on land at
least, making the relevance questionable) but they can also lift their bodies
off the ground; something adult gharials are incapable of doing.

Jason