Re: Fwd: juveniles faster than adults.

On Wed, Dec 1st, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Jura <pristichampsus@yahoo.com> wrote:

> And since we are on the subject I would also like to submit gharials to the
> list of animals with
> faster young. Not only are juveniles faster (on land at least, making the
> relevance questionable)
> but they can also lift their bodies off the ground; something adult gharials
> are incapable of
> doing.

Australian fresh-water crocodiles are famous for being able to 'gallop'. They
retain quite a small
body size throughout their life time though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co7bJlJliEs

I wonder if larger crocodile species, like salt-water or nile crocs, can gallop
as juveniles but later
out-grow the ability? I've only ever seen the much smaller fresh-water species
do so.

Dann Pigdon