Re: Is Kayentavenator a tetanurine or a juvenile kayentakatae?

Yep, that's Alain Dubois for you ! ;-)

According to my Greek-French dictionary, the prefix comes from chresis
(can't write Greek on DML, sorry) for "usage". You have probably
already saw chresonymy lists, David. They are a bit different from
synonymy lists as synonymy should be used for scientifica names only.
Many specimens have been cited, described into literature without
having being named or even referred to a species in particular. This
is much more obvious for historical specimens. This is the case of
*Streptospondylus altdorfensis* of which the lectotype has been
redescribed by Ronan Allain in 2001. This specimen was named as such
by Meyer in 1832, but it had already been mentioned by Cuvier as a
fossil crocodile ("Crocodile fossile") or as an gigantic saurian
species ("espèce de saurien gigantesque"). These mentions are listed
by Allain with the pages and associated illustrations.

I think also to the famous "gavials de Honfleur and du Havre" on which
were founded several teleosaurid species.

I had to deal personally with specimen which were though previously
lost and were found, prepared using a transfer on resin. The specimen
had been already described, figured, but only as "mâchoire de reptile"
and later "un caséidé probable". There is no synonymy here. Only
chresonymy, id est any mention or illustration of a specimen/taxon in
particular.

And thank you for your explanation, Mike !

Tschuss,
Jocelyn