Re: Yaba daba d'oh!

The Brylcream ad was mostly used in relation to the old Robin Hood TV
series. Every barber shop had the AD plastered across a Robin Hood poster.
If it rained, it would run down your face. Yes. Some things are better
left unmentioned.

Do we know if Hanna&
Barbera even knew of that Brylcreem ad?

EVERYONE (in the US at least) had heard of the Brylcreem ad. It was a
cultural icon of the mid-twentieth century.

Brylcreem, huh? A little history here -- Aversion to the more revolting aspects of Brylcreem usage was what caused many baby-boomers to turn away from the path laid out by their parents and "Leave it to Beaver", effectively morphing a few nicotine-stained and amphetamine-fueled beatniks into the counter-culture hordes at Woodstock -- which with a little help from Richard Nixon and the DEA led directly to the current cartel violence in Mexico. Little known factoid -- "Apatosaurus" was the only word it was forbidden to speak in the "bad-trip tent" at Woodstock, and many on the verge of "freaking out" were calmed by simply chanting "Brontosaurus" for a few minutes.

Also -- at the height of it's popularity, Brylcreem mixed with sweat made the decks of US Navy ships so slick as to be dangerous, so it's use was banned. The effect of the ban on the personal appearance of enlisted personnel was so distressing to a certain politician that as many ships as possible were sent to remote locations like the Gulf of Tonkin -- with political consequences that are obvious in hindsight.

Frankly, I think that compared to the power of Brylcreem, the "Flintstones Effect" is a little over-rated, apart from perhaps triggering the careers of a few paleo-icons -- but the stone-age gang certainly sold one hell of a pile of sugar, corn, fertilizer and pine trees. That said, "Alley Oop" was the real ground-breaker and catalyst, and deserves way more credit than he gets.

I would include a link to a website that proves everything I say to be true, but wish to avoid truncation and haven't got it up yet anyways, so you will just have to take my word for it...