Re: Publication and the Code

On Thu, Oct 7th, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Dan Chure <danchure@easilink.com> wrote:

>   I am reposting this because it might easily have been missed in a
> flurry of posts about an Allosaurus specimen for sale.  However, this is
> of much broader import that the Allosaurus specimen.
>
> Tom Holtz posted this link:
>
> http://dinosauriainternational.com/downloads/Amphicoelias.pdf

'Brontodiplodocus' has to be one of the worst, and most potentially confusing,
sauropod species
names ever.

I'm not convinced by the filter-feeding diplodocid idea either. If duck-like
dabbling was the norm,
then you might expect a much broader 'bill' on diplodocids. I also wonder about
the energy costs of
dabbling. Modern dabblers are all very small creatures (by sauropod standards
at least), and
feeding behaviours are generally quite energenic. Aquatic filter-feeders such
as baleen whales and
sharks tend to use up much less energy while feeding, but require huge broad
heads and a lot of
forward momentum to do so.

Certainly the filter-feeding ornithomimid idea didn't seem to last long.

Dann Pigdon