RE: Publication and the Code

> Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 17:50:16 -0700
> From: tijawi@yahoo.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> CC: tijawi@yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: Publication and the Code
>
> If it came to a case before the ICZN, then there is no reason why ICZN would
> not accept "Amphicoelias brontodiplodocus" as a nomenclaturally valid name.
> After all, it ticks all the right boxes in the Code. This is not an
> endorsement of the publication, BTW; it's just that the Code's rules
> regarding what constitutes valid publication (Article 8) are so vague and
> anemic that it is not difficult to fulfill the Code's criteria.
> Self-publication is implicitly permitted as long as a token effort is made to
> provide a public and
> ns recommendations regarding the desirability of publication in 'appropriate
> scientific journals', and that it be deposited in a library. But because
> these are mere recommendations, they might as well be written in invisible
> ink.

No, I think "Amphicoelias brontodiplodocus" is obviously invalid by ICZN
standards, because Dinosauria International hasn't made a print edition
available for libraries (at least, I see no mention of such in the .pdf or
elsewhere on their website).  According to the iczn.org FAQ, "A proposed
amendment to the Code outlined mechanisms to allow
publication of nomenclatural acts in electronic-only journals (but not
on websites or other transient electronic media)."  And Dinosauria
International is clearly a website, not a journal.