RE: Publication and the Code

Jay wrote-

> > As for the specimens being privately owned, the holotype is said to be "on
> >public exhibition at the Washakie Museum and Cultral Center, Worland
> >>Wyoming."
> >So it seems publically accessable to me.
>
> Said to be on public exhibition is NOT the same as being scientifically
> accessible in the sense most researchers would see it. The authors don't
> actually say if it is permanent or temporary display, if it is a replica or
> original on display (I'm assuming original based on their wording, though to
> me
> it seems more profitable to sell display casts).
>

> I'm somewhat bewildered that you Mickey, of all people, would feel it is
> "accessible". Verifying supposed data by standing afar behind a barrier to
> only
> look at or note generalities is totally inadequate. This is a purported
> holotype
> specimen, so it should in a public repository, available for scientific
> verification in a non-limited way. I've walked in several exhibitions/public
> displays of fossils in the past only to be told I was not to take photos, so
> i'm
> also wondering if anyone wanting to look at the "holotype" of
> "brontodiplodocus"
> might need to verify if they are permitted photos.

Ideally it'd be great if all holotypes were easily accessable in a collection
room, but this isn't how things are.  Among the taxa that come to mind, both
Monolophosaurus and Sinraptor are stuck mounted on walls, so when Brusatte et
al. redescribed the former they could only describe certain views of the
bones.  The holotypes of both Deinocheirus and Anserimimus are mounted on
display.  The holotype of Alxasaurus was mostly missing from the IVPP when
Zanno visited, so is hopefully on tour instead of lost.  Among sauropods, a lot
of holotype specimens are stuck mounted in exhibits, like Opisthocoelicaudia
and most specimens from China I think.  I'm sure Taylor and other sauropod
workers have stories of trying to measure and examine mounted specimens.

Mickey Mortimer