Re: How bats fly...

It's a "third way", essentially.  Of course, it depends a bit on how we look at
it - the wakes from bats are rather more complicated, but at the same time,
there are some fundamentals that they share with birds - and pterosaurs would
share these, too.  So to say that bats fly differently from birds could be
either very true or highly inaccurate, depending on how one looks at it (as a
side note, I know Sharon Swartz pretty well, and have spent some time in her
lab - it's a fantastic setup and their work is really stellar.  For those
interested in bat flight, I highly recommend her papers, along with those of
recent Swartz postdoc Dan Riskin, who is exceptionally brilliant).

Cheers,

--Mike H.

On Oct 13, 2010, at 1:43 AM, GUY LEAHY wrote:

> Very differently from birds, according to this research:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/12/science/12obbat.html?ref=science
>
> Based on this, would pterosaur flight be considered closer to birds, bats, or
> would pterosaurs represent a "third way" to achieve powered flight?
>
> Guy Leahy

Michael Habib
Assistant Professor of Biology
Chatham University