Re: Koreanosaurus, new burrowing ornithopod

Andreas Johansson <andreasj@gmail.com> wrote:

> That doesn't follow - the gender of of the 2nd part of a
> (pseudo-)Latinate compound doesn't tell you anything about
> that of the 1st.

True.  Sometimes the separate parts of a genus name are both feminine, as with
_Leallynasaura_, _Bonitasaura_, _Aviatyrannis_, and others.  But this is merely
an aesthetic choice.  Other names have parts that do not agree in gender, such
as _Laplatasaurus_, _Avaceratops_, _Auroraceratops_, or the recently described
sauropodomorph _Sarahsaurus_.

But I have to agree that the name _Koreanosaurus_ is kinda sucky.  The genus
have referenced the local name for South Korea (Hanguk or Namhan), as has been
done elsewhere (_Nipponosaurus_, _Magyarosaurus_, etc).  Or as Dann says, they
could at least have called it 'Koreasaurus' if they wanted to incorporate the
English word, along the lines of _Hungarosaurus_ or _Austriadactylus_.  But
'_Koreanosaurus_'??!!

I know; bitch, bitch, bitch.  This digging ornithopod looks like an extremely
interesting discovery.

Cheers

Tim