Re: Koreanosaurus (regarding PDFs instead of forelimbs)

On 20 October 2010 18:10, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/10/20 Jonas Weselake-George <ee555@ncf.ca>:
>> Regarding redistribution of papers, some historians of science have
>> argued that the critical moment was when people stopped keeping their
>> knowledge secret (eg. alchemy's secret rituals) and started openly
>> publishing their work. Almost all other techniques followed after that
>> step.
>>
> I think publishers, as all the people in the world, have to live from
> their work and the money it produces, and thus have to be compensated.
> However, inasmuch as they do not starve because of people making pdfs
> free I have no objection to the latter procedure, but only praise.

Right.  Publishers are supposed to make money by, you know,
publishing.  Making available.  Spreading the information around the
world.  It's pretty funny that many publishers now spend most of their
effort in trying to prevent information from being published.

BTW., the best way to get a given paper -- especially new ones -- is
nearly always to email the author.  I have never yet met an author who
wasn't delighted that someone's taking an interest in his work.