Re: Koreanosaurus (regarding PDFs instead of forelimbs)

>>The idea is that one should be able to read all publications of
>>nomenclatural acts without any special apparatus

Isn't that a bit dated nowadays? It's now far easier to access electronic
material than printed material.

>>Besides, the current (4th) edition of the ICZN is from 1999, does not
>>predate the Internet,
Granted, but it's essentially an update of a code that is significantly older;
the Phylocode is a totally new thing.

(And even in 1999, digital media were a lot less dominant than now. It was a
shortsighted decision even then, but not yet wholly incomprehensible.)

>>and does not require ink on paper;

Yeah, but it still requires a physical medium, which is pointless.

>>Why is that? :-)

Several reasons, but primarily because I think as we find more and more cases
of reticulate evolution (hybrid speciation, etc.) a purely phylogenetic
classification will get messier and messier. It *can* be done, but it requires
weirdnesses like interlocking taxa -- which IMO are more trouble than they're
worth. And bacteria are so full of horizontal gene transfer I'm not even
entirely convinced that phylogeny is even a particularly useful starting point,
since it's *so* unstable.

I think taxonomy should follow phylogeny in 99% of cases - at least for
eukaryotes and less-riddled-with-gene-transfer prokaryotes, but taxonomic-units
should be kept 'at one remove' from clades -- which are actual biological units
& therefore messier than desirable in a classification, which is ultimately a
tool, and thus utility is the most important thing. (The other case -- beyond
reticulate evolution and such -- where I think taxonomy should depart from
phylogeny is to preserve certain names of such wide use that changing them
would only introduce confusion -- moving *Drosophila melanogaster* to
*Sophophora* would never be universally accepted, so a paraphyletic
*Drosophila* is probably the best of the available options.)

Also, I have inherent qualms with *any* fundamental change this late in the
game, after ~250 years of taxonomy. It's unstable enough as is, and a lot of
old names would be uprooted for no real reason.