Re: New paper on pre-Archaeopteryx coelurosaurian dinosaurs

On 27 October 2010 05:05, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 12:59 PM,  <vultur-10@neo.tamu.edu> wrote:
>
>> I thought Gigantoraptor was ~2 tonnes, much smaller than e.g. Tyrannosaurus
>> or Spinosaurus. Has its size been revised upwards?
>

> I was going by Senter and Robins (2010), who looked at the heights of
> theropods based on hindlimb length.  _Gigantoraptor_ has a hip height
> of 3.5m, which would have made it among the tallest of theropods.
> Though not as tall as the largest _T. rex_, such as "Sue", which has a
> hip height of around 4m.

Really?  From Brochu (2003:138) I have:
left femur length: 130.8
left tibia length, including tarsus: 124.5
right MT III (the longest): 67.1
All measurements in cm.

That sums to 322.4 cm (assuming totally erect hindlimb posture, which
of course is wrong).  I can see where you'd add on a few extra cm for
the cartilaginous joints, but a whole 80 cm?