RE: New paper on pre-Archaeopteryx coelurosaurian dinosaurs

And depends on the level to which you will push "hip height." A shorter tail
for an oviraptorosaur, if the animal were like birds, would indeed make the
femur a far less important element of the effective limb length (and therefore
hip height). However, unlike birds, the femur is quite long compared to the
rest of the body, and we would assume it was far more vertical than in, say, a
pigeon or ostrich. As such, the effective limb length, despite the short tail
(the tail is known, it IS short) would be closer to the total limb length than
it would in a bird. Moreover, the animal was likely tilted upwards at the hip,
would places the anterior ilium above the midlength height of the ilium, so if
we really wanted to, iliac height increases the body profile above the hip
quite significantly, unlike in, say, *Tyrannosaurus bataar.*

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/