RE: New paper on pre-Archaeopteryx coelurosaurian dinosaurs

Possibly the most scientific approach to this question would be to
look at the whole configuration space of possible leg positions, like
it was done by Hutchinson, Gatesy and some other guy (*cough, cough*)
here:

Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 29(2):535-544. 2009 http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Aboutus/Staff/jhutchinson/documents/23_000.pdf