Re: New paper on pre-Archaeopteryx coelurosaurian dinosaurs

On 29 October 2010 07:21, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nevertheless, _Gigantoraptor_ is a BIG theropod.  You have to wonder
>> what it was with Late Cretaceous Mongolia that prompted the emergence
>> of such massive theropods.  More importantly, forms like
>> _Therizinosaurus_, _Deinocheirus_, _Gigantoraptor_ were probably
>> non-carnivorous.
>
> If these big-ass coelurosaurs were browsing herbivores, what factors
> allowed them to occupy these large-bodied-herbivore niches in the
> first place?  Why weren't the sauropods doing it instead?  After all,
> the sauropods had been feeding this way since the Late Triassic, and
> they let themselves get shoved aside by some opportunistic
> johnnies-come-lately.  Sauropods are slackers, that's what I think!

Oi!  Let's not forget our buddies Nemegtosaurus, Quaesitosaurus (if
distinct) and Opisthocoelicaudia.  I'm prepared to admit that, known
as they are from one specimen each, they were not exactly dominating
the landscape like they did in the Morrison, but then Therizinosaurus,
Deinocheirus and Gigantoraptor are also known from one specimen each.