RE: Science feather strength debate

Greg Paul wrote:
<The claim that I have not properly documented my mass estimates is offensive
and ignorant. The basic technique is widely used, I been have presenting the
methods for restoring body masses for decades, and I go further than most
others in presenting multiple view restorations of many species.>

Ok, I am going to call you on this. Not only is this statement in rank
ignorance of the debate in which your method was questioned, the entire
statement ignores the premise that this is about science and not art. They are
not the same thing, although they may overlap.

First,

Your method, as detailed in _Dinosaurs of the World_, is not detailed. It says
you make physical models based on your reconstructions, and use the volumetric
displacement method to calculate the mass of the model, then expand that at
scale. This does not tell us the value of the reconstructions used for the
basis of said model, or the detailed speculation made on how stance and
muscle-mass volume affects these models. Instead, it is performed as I said:
You make a reconstruction, applying a variety of assumptions (some of which
have been questioned) in restoring the anatomy of a skeleton (including missing
parts, length estimates, etc.), then use this to apply a assumption of muscle
structure, none of which is based on primary data on mapping muscle locations.
If anything, the muscle system and gut volume, ligament position, the "thick
neck" of hadrosaurs, the "nuchals" of sauropods, are all hypothetical, but
apparently assumed. I don't know, _you do not detail this in your
reconstructions of the body masses_. It should be apparent that missing
information on your reconstruction method makes the method patently unusable as
a scientific measuring stick for others' works. Claiming then that your work is
derided or ignored is fine, but it is done because the methodology is opaque
inherently; claiming that the methodology as explained is sufficient is
inaccurate.

Second,

Your reconstructions (for which you base your models on, apparently, and only
that) are based on artistic license and speculation. To claim that the art
involved is anything but a suggestion, an idea, of how this skeleton might be
arranged, is to ignore the very purpose of the art in the first place. Instead,
you claim the art is science, and as I said, it overlaps, but not even 50%.
Scientifically, you'd have to admit that your work is speculative and an
hypothesis to be science, but instead you claim the overlap is actually 100%.
From this, you have claimed that derivatives of the art are "correct" or
"accurate," as if there is a 1:1 correspondence involved. This is not even
hyperbole, but grossly misrepresentative of the purpose of your art in the
first place: to merely demonstrate an idea.

If you believe you are correct, this is fine, you can say so. But always
preface this with such a statement of projected belief, rather than argue that
others hsould believe it, too. Otherwise, you're practicing religion.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/