Re: Balaur bondac, the double-bladed dromaeosaurid of Transylvania!

I was the one who noted that the foot looks like a
proto-therizinosaur.  Alas, it was in a truncated message.  Here it is
again in plain text:

"Pelvis seems really squished.  The hand is awesome!  Also, while the
foot is neat because of the enlarged trenchant first ungal, let's not
overlook that metatarsal 1 has migrated distally and is allowing
nearly full contact with the ground. It looks like what I'd expect as
an intermediate grade between Falcarius and more derived
therizinosaurs (note: I'm making no such phylogenetic claim, just
getting excited about the convergence).

Anyways, really neat, and if the pairing with Velociraptor holds then
it looks like even after 100 million years or so of tridactylism it
still wouldn't have been too difficult for theropods to reverse to 4
(or nearly 4) functional toes for terrestrial locomotion."

Sorry about the truncation!

-Scott

--
Scott Hartman
Scientific Advisor/Technical Illustrator