Concavenator corcovatus, a new humped carcharodontosaurid from Las Hoyas

Neat !
Thank you Ian !

:-D

Here is the appropriate reference and the abstract:

Ortega F., Escaso F. & Sanz J.L. 2010. A bizarre, humped
Carcharodontosauria (Theropoda) from the Lower Cretaceous of Spain.
Nature 467: 203-206.

Carcharodontosaurs were the largest predatory dinosaurs, and their
early evolutionary history seems to be more intricate than was
previously thought. Until recently, carcharodontosaurs were restricted
to a group of large theropods inhabiting the Late Cretaceous Gondwanan
land masses, but in the last few years Laurasian evidence has been
causing a reevaluation of their initial diversification. Here we
describe an almost complete and exquisitely preserved skeleton of a
medium-sized (roughly six metres long) theropod from the Lower
Cretaceous series (Barremian stage) Konservat-Lagerstätte of Las Hoyas
in Cuenca, Spain. Cladistic analysis supports the idea that the new
taxon *Concavenator corcovatus* is a primitive member of
Carcharodontosauria, exhibiting two unusual features: elongation of
the neurapophyses of two presacral vertebrae forming a pointed,
hump-like structure and a series of small bumps on the ulna. We think
that these bumps are homologous to quill knobs present on some modern
birds; the knobs are related to the insertion area of follicular
ligaments that anchor the roots of the flight feathers (remiges) to
the arm. We propose that *Concavenator*  has integumentary follicular
structures inserted on the ulna, as in modern birds. Because scales do
not have follicles, we consider the structures anchored to the
*Concavenator* arms to be non-scale skin appendages homologous to the
feathers of modern birds. If this is true, then the phylogenetic
bracket for the presence of non-scale skin structures homologous to
feathers in theropod dinosaurs would be extended to the Neotetanurae,
enlarging the scope for explaining the origin of feathers in
theropods.

--
Jocelyn Falconnet