Re: Concavenator corcovatus, a new humped carcharodontosaurid from Las Hoyas

I should point out that someone on the list (I forget who, my apologies)
pointed
out that some birds have feathers that grow in-between the scales on their feet
and cited this image as support:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hardworkinghippy/1874087885/

It shows the feet of a dead Barn Owl, and it is quite clear that on the one
foot
to the right of the image there are FEATHER-LIKE FILAMENTS GROWING IN-BETWEEN
THE SCALES (!!)[sorry for the caps, I'm not really yelling, just trying to make
the point stand out]. This appears to not be unique to this specimen, as a
brief
google image search on "barn owl feet" will tell you. So I am not sure why that
Jura says that feathers (or at least, feather-like filaments) and scales are
mutually exclusive on the body region they cover. It seems that the evidence
from living birds would suggest otherwise. More importantly, this suggests that
some small animals that we would expect to have had feathers, but that instead
only preserve scales (such as Juravenator) may have had (at least) a light
covering of feather-like filaments anyway.

This also may suggest why larger theropods could, as they grew, lose or reduce
their fluffy integumentary layer as they grew larger, and be covered
predominately in scales.

Best,

Zach