Re: Concavenator corcovatus, a new humped carcharodontosaurid from Las Hoyas

On 9 September 2010 16:13, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <tholtz@umd.edu> wrote:
>> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
>> On Behalf Of Augusto Haro
>>
>> Some other thing... I suppose the knobs are not present in
>> most other non-coelurosaurian tetanurans. May their
>> presence-absence be related with the size of the animal? Some
>> kind of regression should be needed.
>> Concavenator seems to be a relatively small animal.
>
> Size of the animal, or relative size of the elements to the forelimb
> perhaps.
>
> Not all eumaniraptorans (indeed, not all flying birds!) have obvious quill
> nodes.

Indeed.  I just checked a pair of turkey ulnae that I keep around for
special occasions such as this, and they have nothing more than subtle
discolorations along the posterior margin.  I would have missed them
completely had I not been looking for them, and I am pretty confident
that they wouldn't be apparent after fossilisation.

"Absence of evidence is not proof of absence."

(I know that formulation isn't as a snappy as the original, but it's truer.)