Re: Chicken feet; (WAS Re: Concavenator corcovatus, a new humped carcharodontosaurid from Las Hoyas)

2010/9/9 Denver Fowler <df9465@yahoo.co.uk>:

> Curiously enough, silkies are so called becasue the feathers (mostly) are
> filamentous and silky... perhaps more similar to the basal condition. Further,
> silkies have 5 toes on each foot. I wonder whether or not this is a hox-gene
> issue at play. I don't know much about evo-devo, but could it be that silkies
> were being artificially selected for more basal, vestigial characteristics,
> and
> this had the added effect of maintaining/failing to suppress development of a
> 5th digit (however deformed it appears to be).

May be, but it seems that the additional foot digit is on the medial
side according to one of the photos
(http://www.thecozynest.com/picture%20page/mobf_hen_feet.jpg), and if
reverting to the basal condition, one should expect the fifth digit to
be the new one. Although, as you say, the digits are very deformed and
perhaps it is not so easy to determine their homologies on the basis
of comparison with normal pedes.