FW: New Fossil Protection Regulations in China

WhOOOAA ....... David. I meant what I said. I'm talking about
Natural Selection. It's in everything we do. Currently our science is being
selected
against acquiring massive funding. Why?? We have been fairly unsuccessful
competitors
for [$$$$$$] and are being "weeded out/ ignored". Damn right it's Natural
Selection.
You either play the game for everything it's worth or lose the competitive
edge. Lose
the competitive edge and you better start tightening your belt. The soviet
people come
to mind. Natural Selection is very much a part of Darwinism and has been used
in many
instances other than biological. I probably shouldn't have been so liberal in
my terms.
And yes. We "ought" to practise it ..... better than we have.

Now. As for being short sighted ..... hmmmmmmm ......

Working on the "political will????" Lobbyists and politicians??? Working on
them?? Isn't
that what we have been doing for 100 years?? They have no interest in our
field. What we
really need David is to stop looking in all the wrong places. This is what I
mean by changing
strategy. Why would you keep approaching the same type of people for funding??
If I were Jewish
and it was traditional for my people to keep lobbying for funding for Israel by
trying to
convince Mosques to support us, and getting a drivel of $$$$$ from them [along
with a lot of
laughter], it would probably dawn on me too, after 50 years, that I did not
think my strategy
out very well. But. To keep doing it. Then it becomes pathological.

Before you can even begin to use politics David, you have to understand
politics. And you don't.
Our field does not have "political value". You can attain it. Yes. And it only
takes a very small
number of individuals to do so. They have to be gifted or have spent a
reasonable amount of time
working in this arena AND have a fairly fanatical drive towards papaeontology.
That small number,
even one individual is ALL it takes to pull the rest of us through.

Don't believe me?? I'll demonstrate it to you.

If we continue taking your approach to funding, we certainly WILL leave even
MORE people "in the
dust" as it were.

As a side note. This is what science is all about. You and me. Throwing ideas
around. Then testing
them out in the real world. Uuuh. You first.              dale