Re: Concavenator corcovatus, a new humped carcharodontosaurid from Las Hoyas

Chiming in here a bit late... but... I found this interesting and
relevant to the sail/fin/hump-whatever talk concerning Concanvenator,
and indeed, other sail-backed dinosaurs in general...

Here's a very, very good, and very thought provoking photograph
(you'll see what I mean when you view it) of a crested chameleon
(Chamaeleo cristatus).

http://www.arkive.org/media/3C/3C5F61D2-5EA8-472F-B28E-6BA000A40023/Presentation.Large/photo.jpg

I searched everywhere for a skeleton shot to see what was under the
skin, but alas, no luck.

However, here's the skeleton of a veiled chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus).

http://bioweb.wku.edu/faculty/huskey/Veiled%20chameleon%20skeleton%20rostral2.jpg

It also has laterally compressed/elongated neural spines (very
Acrocanthosaurish). As indicated from the photograph linked below,
this chameleon does not have a fleshy hump.... just a nice, broad,
flat display surface (yes, I know of at least one chameleon species
that uses its broad body to thermoregulate... lives in the high
mountains (it snows there) of the African Rift Valley).

http://www.gekkogecko.rs/Galerije/reptili/Chamaeleo%20calyptratus/chamaeleocalyptratusjemenskikameleondsc03312.jpg

So... based just on analogy's sake (as Darren mentioned on TetZoo),
I'm pretty convinced Concavenator (and other sailed and plated
dinosaurs for that matter) were using their goofy, obtrusive, awkward,
and metabolically expensive structures for what said structures are
usually evolved for... impressing the ladies, doing a good DeNiro Taxi
Driver impression, and rabble rousing.

Kris