Re: Concavenator corcovatus, a new humped carcharodontosaurid from Las Hoyas

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 22:07:13 -0400
K Kripchak <saurierlagen1978@gmail.com> wrote:
> So... based just on analogy's sake (as Darren mentioned on TetZoo),
> I'm pretty convinced Concavenator (and other sailed and plated
> dinosaurs for that matter) were using their goofy, obtrusive, awkward,
> and metabolically expensive structures for what said structures are
> usually evolved for... impressing the ladies, doing a good DeNiro Taxi
> Driver impression, and rabble rousing.
>
> Kris

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 5:32 AM,  <GSP1954@aol.com> wrote:
> >>The arrangement tends to favor that
> >>dinosaur sails were for display
> >>rather than supporting fat deposits
> >>in at least some cases.
>
> (incidentally, I fully agree that the fat deposit hypothesis is
> unlikely.)

I'd tend to recommend caution regarding any move to assign display as
anything more than a secondary function. The existence of convergent
evolution in four geographically and phylogenetically widely spaced
taxa - all within a twenty million year period of each other - seems to
imply *some* type of climatic adaptation - either to temperature
extremes or seasonality.

If anyone can come up with another mechanism that could trigger such
adaptations, largely unique adaptations compared to species in other
eras, I'd love to hear it.

Similarly, if anyone knows more about possible climatic stressors it
would be very interesting. It would be interesting to assess the
likelihood of short-term climatic instability or temperature peaks
being most important vs. a long term general trend in temperature.

S!

-Jonas Weselake-George