Fwd: meet Tapuisaurus macedoi, a new titanosaur from Brazil

Dear list

I just talked with Mr. Herton Escobar, the science reporter of "O Estado de Sao
Paulo", the author of this morning
story on the new Brazilian titanosaur Tapuiasaurus macedoi.

Despite what I previously wrote in this forum, Mr. Escobar told me the story
was not published without
authotization of the principal investigator, Prof. Hussam Zaher, and the
co-author Dr. Alberto Carvalho, both from
the Zoology Museum, Universidade de Sao Paulo.

Mr. Escobar and the researchers had a previous agreement: never release any
public information before the final
approval of the paper by PLoS One and its publication online "in print".

But last Friday the story surfaced at Globo TV network.

Of course, as a journalist, Mr. Escobar was afraid to lose his scoop. And so
was his boss and the newspaper.

Mr. Escobar called Prof. Hussam to ask for permission to release the story
ASAP, and, according to Mr. Escobar,
Dr. Hussam gave his approval - with the express exception of the scientific
name of the specimen, Tapuiasaurus
macedoi.

Mr. Escobar told me he and the people at the newsdesk erased each and every
mention of the scientific name from
the whole story, published this morning as a special 8-page supplement of the
daily newspaper.

But, as we all know, if something wrong can happen, sure it will! So the people
of the newsdesk didn't notice one
little single mention of the name of the dino in a small graphic... and the
scientific name became public.

Because of my last post on this specimen, Dr. Carvalho sent me an email. He
asked me to write to this forum,
telling you all the release of the newspaper article was not unauthorized -
only the name of the fossil.

I hope now every aspect of this story is clear. I do hope the release of the
scientific name does not interfere in
the reviewing process by PLoS One.

best

Peter Moon, Ph.D.