Re: Pelagornis chilensis

According to co-author David Rubilar, the humerus of Pelagornis chilensis is 82
centimeters, much larger than the 57-cm humerus of Argentavis, raising doubts
if Argentavis had a 7-meter wingspan. The wing structures of the two birds
doubtless differed, but Argentavis was less complete so its wingspan is an
extrapolation. (Those details were edited out of my New Scientist story.)

--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer
jeff@jeffhecht.com or jhecht@nasw.org