From: Denver Fowler <df9465@yahoo.co.uk>
To: DML <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Thu, 16 September, 2010 12:35:38
Subject: Re: New review paper of tyrannosaur paleobiology in Science, with new
phylogeny

Can somebody explain to me the weird trend in Brusatte tyrannosaur articles
where he ignores some of his own points about ontogeny.

On the one hand, he states that tyrannosaurid skulls elongate through ontogeny,
teeth become more robust, yet on the other hand claims these same characters
are

important features of Alioramus, which the authors acknowledge is based on a
juvenile specimen and derives form the same deposits as Tarbosaurus. IIRC
Alioramus is justified by the apparent elaborate skull ornamentation. However,
skull ornamentation in dinosaurs can often be less pronounced/elaborate in
adults (Horner & Goodwin, Triceratops). Brusatte cites this in the Alioramus
description, but makes the opposite claim.

Denver Fowler
df9465@yahoo.co.uk
http://www.denverfowler.com