RE: Stegosaur volume of Swiss Journal of Geosciences

Anthony Docimo wrote:

<> just a hunch....because that's how it was created in the first place?

[...]

then shouldn't our default assumption (at least
until proven otherwise) be that _Ceratopsidae_ counts _Ceratops_ as a
member?>

  1. Under the philosophical framework of phylogenetic taxopnomy, one should
(or be forced to) include the nominative taxa in one's containing clades.
Always.

  2. BUT ... when stability tends to conflict with usage, and the nominative
form may fall outside the clade named for it, this tends to involve a large
conflict of content. *Ceratops montanus* may not be a member of Ceratopsidae as
it has been used (the clade containing the most recent common ancestor and all
descendants thereof of *Chasmosaurus belli* and *Centrosaurus apertus*). If so,
the usage implies otherwise.

  I would actually favor forcing *Ceratopsidae* and all coordinated ranked taxa
(ICZN rules here) to include *Ceratops montanus* as an anchoring specifier (PC
rules here). If this causes the clade *Ceratopsidae* to no longer include
*Chasmosaurus belli* nor *Centrosaurus apertus*, then a new name may be used.
Contrariwise, we may simply abandon said clade name, and use another name that
does not involve ICZN mandated suffixes, and ignore the issue entirely. I've
not seen this latter approach suggested (TMK), but it means simply ignoring
previous taxonomy and kinda starting over from scratch, as all other taxonomic
inclusive terms within this area of the tree involve ICZN mandated suffixes,
and that IS one of the issues causing people conniptions when it comes to using
*Ceratopsidae*.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)