RE: New review paper of tyrannosaur paleobiology in Science, with new phylogeny

I'll second Denver's observation here.  Analyzing a known young specimen (based
on histology) as an adult is simply improper and bound to result in incorrect
phylogenetic placements.  The fact Carr's own analysis incorrectly places
juvenile Tyrannosaurus (in the same position Alioramus emerges in) should all
the proof one needs.  I still believe Alioramus is probably a juvenile
Tarbosaurus (and that A. altai is certainly a junior synonym of A. remotus).
As I said on my site, the
  fact most differences could be explained by ontogeny, coupled with the unique
  similarities present in Alioramus and the contemporaneous Tarbosaurus
  strongly suggest the former is a juvenile of the latter. The alternative
presented
  by Brusatte et al., where a distinct genus known only from juvenile specimens
  and based on characters largely found in juvenile tyrannosaurs is
contemporaneous
  with a taxon it is not the sister group of yet shares autapomorphies with, is
  considered unlikely.

http://home.comcast.net/~eoraptor/Tyrannosauroidea.html#Alioramusremotus

Mickey Mortimer