Basal birds from China (free pdf)

From:
 Ben Creisler
 bh480@scn.org

I don't recall seeing this article mentioned (apologies
if I missed it). The pdf can be downloaded for free.
Also, this is a new journal called Chinese Birds that
might be worth monitoring for paleobird content in the
future.

http://www.chinesebirds.net:8080/Jweb_bird/EN/volumn/curre
nt.shtml

http://www.chinesebirds.net:8080/Jweb_bird/EN/abstract/abs
tract33.shtml

Dongsheng LI , Corwin SULLIVAN , Zhonghe ZHOU1, Fucheng
ZHANG, 2010. Chinese Birds 2010, 1(2) 83-96.

We use the term ?basal birds? for a relatively small
number of primitive fossil birds that fall outside the
major clade Ornithothoraces, which includes both modern
birds and enantiornithines. Eight genera and twelve valid
species have been reported from China in the last 15
years, whereas Archaeopteryx lithographica remains the
only basal bird to have been described from non-Chinese
specimens (although confuciusornithid material is
apparently present in North Korea). Here we briefly
review the Chinese basal birds and their anatomy,
phylogeny and ecology. Chinese fossils have contributed
extensively to scientific understanding of early avian
evolution, demonstrating collectively that basal birds
were generally relatively large and morphologically and
ecologically quite diverse. Although some significant
uncertainties remain, particularly with respect to the
relative phylogenetic positions of Jeholornis, Sapeornis
and Zhongornis, an increasingly clear picture of the
first stages of avian evolution is emerging from the
Chinese fossil
record.